Cheap Horsepower-Ram air

M HILL EAXMJHI at ean2.mecheng.nottingham.ac.uk
Wed May 14 08:28:10 GMT 1997

> I have been following the various threads on free/cheap horsepower.
> This has got me thinking about ram air induction and cold air induction.
> Now looking at cars like my wifes Audi, where the radiator only takes
> up about half of the grill opening, one could build a 'funnel' to cover
> the rest of the grill for a ram air set up. Seems like this would
> provide some free power, but mainly at higher car speeds.
> Now if you were to dyno an engine with this set up (like to set up a
> fuel map), could a dyno facility provide a pressurized air source to
> mimic ram air?

If I remember correctly, the powers that be in FIA banned this from
formula one (i.e. the teams had to put holes in the back of the air
intakes to provide a straight through path.)  Then changed their
minds when it was shown to make bugger all difference.  If it makes
bugger all difference at 200mph plus then at road speeds you
certainly won't notice the difference from the ram air effect.  A
good cold air intake and a tuned length intake might be useful
though.

Martin