Cheap Horsepower-Ram air

Mike Fahrion mfahrion at bb-elec.com
Wed May 14 13:19:26 GMT 1997

There have been a couple good articles about ram air in the bike
rags - most by Kevin Cameron.  Kawasaki first put ram air on the zx11
in 90(?).  I think this was the first on a production bike.  Since
this time it has been adopted by most (or all) of the japanese bike
mfgs in their sport bike class.

Note you must pressurize the fuel supply to the same pressure as the
airbox or you'll just lean out as you go faster.

There are definately small gains to be had, although only
significant at triple digit speeds, the main benefit though is the
cool air supply.  I wish I could remember Keven C's theoretical power
gain discussion.  All that I remember was that it wasn't all that
great, immeasurable at highway speeds, sigficant at
superbike/racing speeds.  On the zx11 speculation is that its good
for a couple mph at the top end (176 mph top speed).  I think this is
the main reason its found on today's sportbikes - that top end speed
number, though not used directly by the mfg's, is a big part of their
marketing.

If anyone is interested in Kevin C's article let me know and I can
put some effort into digging it out of my big box of articles.

A friend tried to add it to his Suzuki RG500 (4cyl, 2 stroke 500cc)
but had trouble achieving a good pressure balance between the air and
fuel supply, was leaning out at high speeds, dangerous thing on a 2
stroke.

-mike
mfahrion at bb-elec.com