exhaust wrapp

FreshMar at aol.com FreshMar at aol.com
Wed May 14 14:04:14 GMT 1997

>I've wrapped exhaust systems over the years from the headers down to the
>muffler, where the heat isn't so bad, not so much to prevent/encourage
>rust, but to keep the engine compartment cooler for better performance.
> Its been my experience that the exhaust wrapping (from JC Whitney) wears
>out much faster than the exhaust (typically a year if driven daily), and
>can't really comment on the rust issue.  Its worked for me with good
>results.  I've heard that they speed up rust, as well as slowing the
>process down, slowing it because the inside of the pipes stay hotter longer
>(since the wrapping is an insulator) thus more of the H2O byproduct of
>gasoline burning remains as steam and exists.
>
>Not sure how valid that is or not.
>
>Fred

thanks- I was looking into that stuff from JC, but I was concerned with
rust and the possibility of the fiberglass catching and holding any stray
oil, and in effect acting like a wick. The exhaust pipes are under the
cylinders and run horizontally. My engines do not leak oil,but the
possibility exists for a very hazzardous condition. I wouldn't like to
make a modifiacation that could do that. I thought of wrapping the wrap,
which my do the trick. Perhaps s.steel foil tape...
Mario T.