Home brewed cheap Dyno

DARROW COLE darrowco at library.ucla.edu
Fri May 16 17:31:40 GMT 1997

I looked into this a few years ago but abandoned the idea after
some thought. Here is what I reasoned (please note that I did not
actually build or test anything so I may be off base):

Whatever device is used as the Load Absorbing Device is
essentially converting energy. A water pump is putting kinetic
energy into the water. Restricting the flow rate will result in
less kinetic energy going into the water although more energy may
go into heat. It will take a big pump and a lot of water to brake
a large engine.

A water brake, on the other hand, is putting most of the energy
into heat. If you look at a schematic for a water-brake dyno
system, you will see, in addition to the brake, a water pump and
cooling tower. These are required to move the energy into the air
as all the brake does is generate heat. Control is achieved by
adjusting the amount of water in the brake. I took the view that
the brake is "shearing" the molecules apart to generate the heat.

Water brakes run in the $2,000 to $10,000 range depending on
manufacurer and capacity so I reasoned that if I ever got to the
point of building a dyno, I would simply buy a brake. Check the
Thomas Cat for sources or send me a note and I will dig out my
notes.

Darrow Cole