89 Buick Century 3.3 performance chip

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Sat May 17 15:19:44 GMT 1997

> I know it's an odd request, but does anyone know of a company or a
> individual who has a performance chip for this E.C.U. Maybe there is a
factory one I
> could use? I have to drive this car for a while, and was looking for a
way
> to pep it up a little. It's my mother car, and she thinks it could run a

Not an odd request at all Marty, the FWD GM vehicles can be modified and
brought "up to snuff" with a little effort.  There is a gentleman by the
name of Dave who has the website
http://members.aol.com/efiperform/efi.html.

Check out the site, and drop Dave an email, he's been selling these chips
for a while, and can create custom ones depending on your needs.  I've
already contacted him about my issues, as I'm building a mid-engine sports
car utilizing a 1986 Buick 3.8L from a FWD vehicle, and he's going to
provide the chip to support a Turbo, similar to the 3.8L GN setup.  They
have  Buick Century (FWD) on the website, so go for it :)

> appreciated. One other thing, would it be possable to bolt in the newer
> 3.8 Buick motor into this car. Maybe when the motor blows up, after I
play

Physically, the 4.3L GM engine will fit, however like with all EFI engine
swaps, you need the wiring harness, all the sensors, the ECM, and the
cabling between the ECM and the engine.  If you miss something, its a pain
to get that stuff down the road.  The 3.8L should be able to be upgraded
with a Turbo, which I believe is less work than an entire engine swap.
 Prefabricating headers is not ::that:: difficult, as the Century has some
room under the hood.  Not a lot mind you, but some :).  Just some clever
re-routing :)

Funny, I'm a Ford guy too :)

Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive Mailing List