Need to test injectors

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com
Mon May 19 16:32:19 GMT 1997

[snip]

>>  I hesitate to use gasoline for safety reasons.
>> Does anyone have any ideas as what liquid I can use that will still
>> be compatible with the injectors and fuel pump, yet not "explode" should
>> some accident occur?  I'm sure there must be businesses out there that
>> have injector flow benches and I'm curious as to what they use.
> >
>>Many thanks,
>> Bill
>>

>I wouldn't know for sure but I suggest using kerosine (=parafin). It
>would be about the same viscosity and density.
>
>I used gasoline, when I did my test, and I'm still here. I did do
>it outside though, and I made sure all electrical connections were
>solid!
>
>Did I hear anybody say Formula FAE? :-)

One of the projects some of the guys in my group at work took on many
years ago was a test stand for fuel components for USAF fighter
aircraft.  I didn't participate. The test fluid was called Starter or
Starderd fluid.  It is the same stuff used by dry cleaners.  It was
close enough to give accurate testing results and was much less
explosive.  It can be made to burn.  I'm not sure if the EPA has messed
with that stuff or not.  I also don't have a clue how to get it.  I
remember an article in "Hot Rod" or Car Craft" about someone rebuilding
and testing injectors and vaguely remember they used the cleaning fluid
also.