Need to test injectors

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Mon May 19 15:47:19 GMT 1997

Greetings Bill,

> I have made a fixture to test some injectors on the bench.  An injector
> is mounted in a glass fixture so I can see the flow and also measure
> the quantity output over time.

Neat undertaking you have made there :)

> My question to everyone:  I hesitate to use gasoline for safety reasons.
> Does anyone have any ideas as what liquid I can use that will still
> be compatible with the injectors and fuel pump, yet not "explode" should
> some accident occur?  I'm sure there must be businesses out there that
> have injector flow benches and I'm curious as to what they use.

Gasoline is probably the best choice to use, since obviously its the fuel
you shall be running, you can measure the spray diameter and other
parameters.   I would place your glass fixture outside your garage where
"free air" can get in to keep a buildup of fuel vapor from collecting,
which in turn, might explode.

Please, by all means, have a white-powder based extinguisher, goggles, and
gloves when working with such a unit.

Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive Mailing List
Website: http://members.aol.com/fjb203/index.htm