Cheap Horsepower-Ram air

Ed Mellinger meed at mbari.org
Mon May 19 16:56:56 GMT 1997

Stephen Dubovsky wrote:

>   Nope, you completely forgot about aerodynamics.  There is high pressure
> on the leading edge of an object (esp. a car bumper or windshield or the
> front end of a blunt motorcycle).

Huh?  Dynamic Pressure *IS* aerodynamics, doctor.  Week 1 of Aero 101...
look it up in any textbook... it's the technical term for the "high
pressure on the leading edge" you're talking about (see also Total
Pressure, Stagnation Pressure, and Isentropic Compression if you wanna
get detailed about it).

If you've got repeatable measurements that show "considerable pressure"
(like 10-20% boost at highway speeds) in a ram air manifold, we'd all
love to see 'em.  Come to think of it, Boeing and Pratt&Whitney would
too!

Ed Mellinger