basic system contest

John Reed MD jreed at ucsd.edu
Tue May 20 06:34:08 GMT 1997

Okay all you efi gurus, here is my challenge. I have a wimpy 2.4 liter 911
"T" porsche motor rated at 140 hp which is currently mechanically fuel
injected, has a CD ignition with a Hall effect "pointless" distributer with
mechanical (springs and weights) advance. Mechanically the motor is easily
adaptable to turbocharging. The end use is to spank all the 3.6 and 3.8
twin turbo cars (with big money sponsors) on small tight road racing
courses . But the real challenge is not just to leave the big boys in the
dust, but to do it on a shoe string budget.

The local "turbo guru"  thinks the way to go is to weld the distributor
plate and set the timing at 26 deg BTDC permanently, use a MAP "Boost"
sensor which would trigger auxillary EFI'S, and mechanically set the waste
gate. Adjustment of the system (feedback input) would be limited to an
exhaust temperature sensor. He think we should ignore any control of the
duty cycle and run a simple all or nothing auxillary system, probably just
two injectors, one for each bank of cylinders.
I think we can do ALOT beter than that. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
 JOHN REED MD