Oxygen Sensors and junkyards

Trevor Boicey tboicey at brit.ca
Tue May 20 04:10:21 GMT 1997

Can somebody please provide me a brief rundown on the
types of Oxygen Sensors? I forget the name of the device
I am referring to, but I mean the simple type that can
be used to give rough lambda readings and can provide
feedback to closed loop systems.

  I know there are heated and non heated, and apparently
they are known by the number of wires which each has. I
suspect the "more wire" types are heated, but I want to be
sure before I start spouting inferred facts.

  As well, I am under the impression they all use standard
spark-plug threads and hole sizes? I have a hole drilled
and tapped into my exhaust manifold awaiting...

  Finally, I am looking to install one in my Midget. The
first use will just be data gathering, but I am eventually
aiming to convert the car to EFI. (as soon as my book order
shows up with my Bosch Manuals).

  Can somebody suggest a good general purpose O2 sensor,
preferably heated, and a car that it came in so I can
source one from a junkyard? (or a parts counter, if it
is not advisable to source from a junkyard?)

--
 /       Trevor Boicey         1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget     /