5.0. EFI Conversion to '69 Mustang

steve ravet steve at sun4c409.imes.com
Thu May 22 22:11:13 GMT 1997

> Date:          Thu, 22 May 1997 17:05:09 -0400
> From:          Frederic Breitwieser <frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com>
> Subject:       RE: 5.0. EFI Conversion to '69 Mustang
> To:            "'diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu'" <diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu>

> > No harm intended, but why not buy an very used EFI Mustang and
> > transfer the entire drivetrain and EFI system over.  Might that be
> > less work?
>
> Sounds like a lot less work, in addition, if you move the wiring
> harness over, the only thing to do is cut a wire hole in the
> firewall and bolt the U-Joints on the driveshaft up.
>
> This is something even I could handle :) hehehe.

Well, it's not quite that simple... :-) The ECM will probably need an
input from a park/neutral switch, and an input from a vehicle speed
sensor, and maybe other things that don't exist on a pre-efi car.
BUT, they are all minor things.  I would agree that transplanting the
whole engine + trans is the way to go.  That's what I did in my
Blazer, and it works very well.  It also minimizes down time since
you can drive the car while you prep the engine.

--steve