5.0. EFI Conversion to '69 Mustang

Mike Topping mtopping at qualcomm.com
Thu May 22 22:25:59 GMT 1997

>>>I'm trying to do an EFI conversion into a '69 Mustang and...
>

>No harm intended, but why not buy an very used EFI Mustang and transfer the
>entire drivetrain and EFI system over.  Might that be less work?
>
>Kurt

I don't know for sure, but I imagine that is what he is doing.  However, I
don't think the fuel tank (with its built in pump) from a late model Mustang
(fox body) will fit in the earlier (65 ~ 73) Mustangs.  Hence the need for a
fuel pump.  I am interested in this topic also - only I want to put the EFI
into a '65 Fastback Mustang.  I have all the harnesses, the EEC-IV computer,
the motor (including manifolds, injectors, plumbing) and some of the
sensors/solenoids to do a conversion.  What I do not have is the knowledge
as to which sensors I can safely ignore (what will keep the EEC-IV out of
"limp home" mode). I know I need TPS, ACT, ECT, EGO. I know I can ignore the
canister purge solenoid.  I would prefer not to have to use EGR or any of
the solenoids that route/reroute the air pump and/or the exhaust gas.
Ignoring these sensors/solenoids may or may not be possible, but the
installation would obviously be much more sanitary in appearance with out
all that clutter .  I guess I better sign up to the EEC-IV list too - can
someone post how I go about doing that.  Also, if you have done this
conversion, can you relay what you did, what original equipment was used or
not used, and what after market equipment (fuel pump, plumbing, etc) you
used, any particularly bad "gotcha's", etc. In other words - send a road map!!

Mike Topping
RF Product Engineer
mtopping at qualcomm.com
Ph:  619 651-0242