EFI and Two-Strokes

Seth Allen n9540517 at cc.wwu.edu
Sat May 24 04:34:47 GMT 1997

On Fri, 23 May 1997 jb24 at chrysler.com wrote:

> Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 13:40:30 -0400
> From: jb24 at chrysler.com
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: EFI and Two-Strokes
>
> Hello group,
>  I thought you might be interested in my project.  I am attempting to
> turbocharge small single-cylinder two-strokes (125 and 250cc dirt bike
> engines) for land-speed record attempts and the heck of it.  I am a
> veteran of Formula SAE, and can't bring myself to carburate anything.
> My only experience is with Haltech and Electromotive controllers,
> neither of which really have what I need.  My desire is to use a Bosch
> MAF, the late-model non-wire type to compensate for all the flow
> variability and misfire.  The problem is I can't get ignition and
> injection at the rpm's I am interested in with a MAF-based controller
> with a channel to control a wastegate solenoid.  I got steered here by
> Paul VanValkenburg's article in Racecar Engineering, hoping to find
> hardware that I could program.  Any suggestions?

Are you sure that haltech ahs nothing to offer, the E6A is a rather
sophisticated unit, and if you get one that  is set up for a turbo rotary
or 2 stroke, you might be pleased.  Just a suggestion.  We used a F( I
think on a 4 stroke 600cc tubo bike motor, you know the Honda CBR 600 F2.
Worked fine, and made a lot of power and torque, even thru the 20 mm
restrictor required for FSAE.  With time and a dyno, the F( set up for a
2 stroke might be fine.  We hit 17 psig with that setup, I don't think
you'll need more.

Good luck,

Seth