What's happening with efi332?

Bruce Bowling bowling at cebaf.gov
Tue May 27 15:07:21 GMT 1997

> Hi,
>
> I asked this a few weeks ago, but nobody replied.. What's happening with
> the efi332 project? Judging by the web page, nothing has been done for
> quite a while (like.. a year?)
>
> Did this project die due to lack of interest of the participants? :-(
>
> Cheers,
> Craig.
>
> PS.. anyone seen any efi related apps for the US Robotics pilot?
> I think it would make a great head end for an efi system!

Actually, lots of things are happening! Here is a quick rundown
(from memory):

HARDWARE:

  1) There are at least 100 CPU boards (Rod B. design) purchased,
     under various stages of assembly. Several of us have assembled,
     and tested CPU boards. Flash ROM programming is reliable, and
     all sub-systems on the CPU board have been tested. I think that
     there are still group purchases available for this board (ask
     Johnny about this). Also available is the BDM (Background
     DeBugger) board, which allows one to program the 332 CPU board
     via. a PC.

  2) There are two slightly different injector driver boards, one
     designed by Sandy Ganz, and one by myself. Each board will
     drive 4 injectors, configurable. Sandy's board has, in
     addition to the drivers, an on-board power supply and
     input conditioning (opto-isolated). This is the board that most
     people are going with (and I recommend it), and I believe that it
     has been tested.  The board I came up with has just the driver
     circuits only. I have populated this board and tested it extensively.

  3) Sandy has a first attempt at a I/O board, which he has fabricated.
     It is currently being tested by John Gwynn (I think) and others,
     and I think that the crank/cam input circuits have been
     tested O.K., with the rest now under test. Once tested, group
     purchases will begin for this board, and the real fun will begin.

  4) Al Grippo and myself are right in the middle of testing different
     crank sensor wheel tooth shapes for VR sensors, with "interesting" results.
     A wheel group order is in the works, once specific wheel diameters
     are finalized.

SOFTWARE:

  1) John Gwynn has assembled up a M68K-COFF compiler (which runs under
     Linux) which is what everyone is using for code development. This code is
     available at the FTP site. Also available is the BDM download code
     and the Flash ROM programmer software.

  2) John has RTEMS, a real-time executive, running on his 332 board,
     and has tested most of the TPU functions. He has routines available
     which obtain crank sensor sync, etc.

  3) Al Grippo has an entire engine management software code written
     (both FI and spark), available on the FTP site. Each subsection
     of the code has been tested on the 332 CPU, with breadboarded
     circuits (crank/cam sensor, A/D, etc.) tested with the code.

In my estimation, the project is getting close to actually running
an engine - maybe sometime this fall. Not bad for a project being
implemented on people's spare time.

- Bruce

                 Bruce A. Bowling
                 Staff Scientist
    12000 Jefferson Ave - Newport News, VA 23602
                 (804) 249-7240
bowling at cebaf.gov  http://devserve.cebaf.gov/~bowling