V-8 Int. man. design

Paul (BRAAP) Ruschman prusch at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 28 13:56:40 GMT 1997

Evert Rosseel wrote:

> > > If you have a LOT of money, you can also :
> > > 4 - install a different crankshaft, so that it fires like two 4 in
> > > lines connected in V Although this seems strange, it is done on some engines (Ferrari does for example) because the same effects of
(unevenly) timed flow also come into play in the exhaust. An equal firing
interval for each banks gives best performance because it allows the use
of tuned exhausts. The disadvantage is that the engine balance is badly
influenced (4 cylinder like instead of V8).

> >        No I don't have a lot of money but have been extremely
> > interested in using a single plane (180 degree) crankshaft. As you have mentioned exhaust tuning is the benefit and four cylinder buzziness
is the down fall, also the car wouldn't sound as if it had an American
V-8 in it,(SLEEPER), but I haven't seen any commercially available with
cam shafts to match.
> >       Have you or any else seen these cranks for the Chev little block?
>
> No. I will check again as I don't have the information with me.
> I have seen some inlet manifolds with seperate inlets for all
> cylinders for the little block. I think it was made by Edelbrock,
> they can be found on the web at
> http://www.edelbrock.com/edelbrock.html :

		They don't have what I am really looking for. I am
currently running one of their dual plane manifolds, the Edelbrock
Performer.

> I will check my documentation and mail you if I find anything more
> specific.
> (We have been looking for inlet manifolds of this kind for our big
> block engine, but have been unsuccesfull, as we have oval inlet
> ports instead of square ones required by the manifolds we found.)

	Here are a few sites that are involved in Chevy intake manifold
design....

	http://www.inglese.com/
	http://www.tunedport.com/
	http://www.fuelinjection.com/
	http://www.azspeed-marine.com/

	Good luck with the big block.

> BTW, if you use a single plane crankshaft, you also have to change
> the exhaust manifolds, as they should be optimised for the uneven firing interval.
> 	I was under the impression that with the single plane crank that
the firing pulses are even on each now and therfore make most current
headers perfect for this?

		Thank You,
	 Paul (BRAAP) Ruschman
	 http://www.datsuns.com/paul.htm