DIY_EFI Digest V2 #183

talltom at espace.dcl.com talltom at espace.dcl.com
Fri May 30 17:38:06 GMT 1997

Buick?? Not much performance??? Hate to burst your bubble, but nobody
EVER beat my 59 lesabre off the line in the 60's(tore up 7 dynaflows,
but never lost, factory 4000 stall speed!) Might want to tell the folks
at Kenedy-Bell performance about how buicks don't perform, they've got
a display case full of trophy's, the first coming from a 59. Partial clue,
455 Buick weighs 100# less than 454 Chev.
    Happen to have a 70 Gran sport Ram air 455 4speed  lurking in the neighborhoo that I suspect could give a GN a good run for it's money. Will admit
that GN can be modifyed to out perform easier though. Neither one are much
at high speeds(150) though.

   Just for history's sake, there have been some rocky mountian hillclimb
cars that were midengine automatics with the 3.8 buick turbo as the
platform eng. Made 800-900 hp on alchol at 3 bar. They had the damn thing
setup so that if it dropped below a certain rpm it died. something happened
and they got below the critical rpm and it killed. If it hadn't been for the
goofy ign. they'd have won, they were a LONG WAY ahead. I believe the cars
was fabricated by the Peterson Bros.

Old Buicks Kick butt! Might also add that I was going to buy a new GNX
in 87, until they told me the only color they were available in was
black.  I was living in Phoenix at the time, and was not going to own a black car.