Please Help: To lean? (slightly off topic)

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Sat Nov 1 01:23:40 GMT 1997

Frederic Breitwieser wrote:

> >Now the engine misfires initially on acceleration, unless you accelerate
> >real real slowly. I have lived with this problem for a little while now,
> >not able to find the cause (i rebuilt the motor, but just cleaned the
> >carbs). The engine has always backfired (poped) on anything but ultra slow
> >decelartion in gear, but with the choke fully on, it doesnt backfire?
> >
> >Does it sound like a problem with the carbs (assuming the rest of the
> >motor is ok)?
>
> Well Jeremy, to me it sounds more like an ignition timing issue than
> anything... while I'm definately not a Weber carb guru, if your engine is
> misfiring on acceleration and backfiring on deceleration, your timing might
> be off something in the range of 5 degrees...
>
> Frederic Breitwieser
> Homebrew Automotive Mailing List
> Bridgeport, CT 06606
> http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/4605/index.html
> 1989 AG Hummer 4-Door
> 1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
> 2000 Mid-Engine Sports Car <smile>
>
> Seeking info on: Audi 5k Locking Diffs, Audi 5k trans bolt pattern, and
> 17x11" rims.
>
> ---
I agree - check electrical. Backfire on decell would be rich, if
anything, and the fact that a bit of choke gets rid of the bog would
indicate lean. In event of a basic contradiction, look elsewhere for
contributing factors.
--
                             _/\_

Remove the R from E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys