Heavy Breathing (No, not that)

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Tue Nov 4 09:18:55 GMT 1997

Sounds to me (too) like ring blowby.  The reason the racers duct these vapors into
the exhaust (at least the ones who aren't copying everyone else) is that oil in the
fuel/air can cause detonation. And we all know what that means...  Also, if you are
considering this method, make sure you have some type of baffles in the valve
covers, and I would plumb one line from each valve cover to the closest header, (I
assume you are running them), and a third port, maybe the oil fill cap, should allow
filtered air in.  You can create quite a vacuum in the crankcase with this setup.

Just a note.  I know that a 300ci Ford 6cyl, though it has 8.5:1 compression,
produces higher psi readings during compression test than 350hp 350ci Chev V8 with
11:1.  Think it depends on valve timing and piston stroke.

dzorde wrote:

> OK, lets see:
>
> >Coupla questions:
> >
> >How much oil are we talking here?  Are you dumping quarts out the valve covers?
>
> No, its not that bad.  I would guess similar amount as to when you are
> refilling and miss the filler hole for that split second.  It just means
> that I have to regularly wipe the covers around the breather caps.
>
> >What kind of racing?  Straight ahead or left hand turns only?
>
> Real racing, left and right turns, on and off the accelerator, hard on and
> off the brakes.
>
> >What kind of vehicle?
>
> ehh, its a HQ Monaro.  I would guess similar to a 1973 Camaro in size and
> weight, except its a 4 door.

Umm yeah..  With this, I am out of my territory.  Know of any web sites where there
are pictures?  I'm curious.