GM ECU 1227730/47: basic questions

John Zarli jzarli at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 5 04:40:40 GMT 1997

sfg wrote:

> John Zarli wrote:
> >
> > sfg wrote:
> > >
> > > I am using the 1227730 ECU and have a few basic questions:
> > > 1. since it is so common, where might I find the disassembled code?
> > >    (I'm using the EPROM 16139544 '87 K5 Blazer: manual trans, TBI)
> > > 2. Is the memcal a fuse-link type ROM?
> > > 3. Which application parameters are contained in the memcal?
> > > 4. I have noticed ref to a "P" suffix on the p/n. Meaning?
> > > 5. Is its driver circuitry capable of operating with the combined
> > >    load of 8 injectors wired in parallel?
> > > 6. Will it run a ZZ4 GM engine (24502609) (with the 10185071 camshaft)?
> > > I know this is a lot of info, but since this ECU is so popular, answers
> > > may benefit many people on this list. TIA   Steve
> > Steve, stay tuned....I should know #6, whether a TBI system can support
> > a ZZ3 (10185071) camshaft within a few weeks. roller rockers are going
> > in now. Almost done.  Note that the alum heads on a complete zz3/zz4
> > engine are the old style bolt pattern....I've heard different opinions
> > regarding enlarging the bolt holes on newer manifolds to fit those
> > heads.
> John, what are you using for injection? TBI or port? Enquiring minds
> need to know. Also, my GM service parts list (shows all the components
> in a matrix for the ZZZ, ZZ1,2,3,&4) lists an intake manifold
> (10185063) as "dual bolt pattern" with EGR and applies to ZZ3 and
> ZZ4 only. I'll stay tuned....    steve
Steve, visit the GMGOODWRENCH website & you can download the GM
Performance parts catalog (free). It has a wealth of info. The ZZ4 is a
great deal, but as it applies to newer engines...the dual bolt pattern
is referring to the carb mounting. The intake manifold has an egr
passage but the heads do not (go figure?) Also the head to intake bolts
are old style, middle bolts on new manifolds are at a different angle.
You end up buying the carb manifold, the tooo long water pump & the
vacuum type distributor.  My approach was to convert an 88 350TBI truck
motor to hydraulic rollers...very easy...no machining. disadvantage is
that (my) truck heads, although they have the same 1.94/1.5 valves, have
a swirl port design, not the performance design of Corvette style heads.
My logic is that the ZZ4 engine can be used as part of a GM approved
pollution legal package for older Camaros using an ECM controlled
quadrajet carb. I figure the TBI system should be at least as smart as
the carb system it replaced....at least I sure hope so (vbg).