nylon in petrol

Joe Chiasson chiasson at hutchtel.net
Wed Nov 5 03:24:18 GMT 1997

> Hi all,
>
> i was wondering how nylon (or possibly teflon) fares when in constant
> contact with petrol. I am planning on cutting a helical groove in a
> short length to try out a fuel flow metering gizmo, and i need to know
> if it will withstand being in fuel all day long.

Had nylon in contact with gasoline on occasions with no noticeable
problems.  Daily run liquid propane through 15% glass filled nylon-6,6
with no problem.  Have had submerged in liquid propane for months with no
problem.  Ran into problem with 0% glass filled nylon-6,6 softening up
after time.  Nylon is hygroscopic (somewhere between 5-10% I think) could
cause problems if trying to hold tight tolerances over time.

j.