Oscilliscope - Good deal?

Terry Sare Terry_Sare at dell.com
Wed Nov 5 17:37:30 GMT 1997

I think you would do better to look at new scopes. You can get a 100Mhz goldstar
at Altex for about $1200. I have an old TEK mainframe and found it just wouldn't
do the job -- it is rusting in my attic(p/s died too). Check the local paper --
some people repair them and sell good *small* and cheaper than new.

ts

Joe Boucher wrote:

> I have a business card from a vendor who has a $25 dollar HP122AR
> Oscillicope.  It had a sweeptime range of 5 to 200 usec per cm.  That's
> good enough for fuel injection stuff, isn't?  The damn thing was huge and
> old.  Round, orange screen.  It did have A, B, and A&B channels.  Outside
> reference feeds.  What I liked about it was the lack of hundreds of
> incomprehensible buttons and dials whose function I have no idea of.
>
> The vendor said he was using it up to two months ago and it fuctioned then.
>  Is it a good deal?  It would cost me $10 bucks in gas to go get it, but I
> could make them plug it in and proved it worked.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe Boucher
> '70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban
I think you could do better (spend a bit more). You get accustomed
to numerous buttons in a hurry. He should give you the scope free.
I have seen better ones left behind at hamfests (I gave away my TEK535).
Check out the ads in Nuts&Volts magazine, then give the used test equip
vendors a ring to check prices. Tons of used scopes out there... Steve