GM electronic keys

Craig Pugsley c.pugsley at trl.telstra.com.au
Fri Nov 7 02:53:09 GMT 1997

> Subject: Re: GM ignition key readers
>
> Craig,
>
>           Just resistors. There are 15 possibilities and they range from
> 400 ohms to almost 12K ohms.
> > A quick question.. (not really efi, but still on car electronics).
> > Do the GM car keys with electronics inside them that the ECU talks to
> > still just use resistors inside the key or have they changed to something
> > more secure (ie something electronic in the key)?
> > If so, when did they change?
>
>    What spurs your interest on the VAT system?

My car (1995 Holden commodore (australia) w/ derivitive of buick 3.8v6 and GM p4
ecu) has this feature installed and I was wondering what I had to do to
make a spare key for it, as the factory key has a whopping great remote
entry transmitter as part of it (like 1.5 inches wide x 2 inches long).
I read somewhere that the security system used rolling codes, so if the
VATS is a resistor only then the rolling codes must be in the UHF
transmitter. I didn't want to go fooling around with the system in case
it was something that might be damaged easily.
So rest easy.. it's a legitimate question for a legitimite reason!

Cheers,
Craig.