Scopemeters

Ron & Cathy Webb cwebb at polarnet.com
Sat Nov 15 19:13:17 GMT 1997

I have some experience with the Fluke 98, and a bit more with the
Tektronix 200.

I have been an electronics technician/engineer for 25 years now,
so I have been using O'scopes for a long time.

My, and my coworkers experiences have been mixed with the
"scopemeters", but I'm afraid most of the problems arise from
resistance to change. If you don't TRUST your test equipment then
you are hamstrung for troubleshooting. So why should I change
from a machine I trust to one that I have any doubt at all about?

Having said that, I recently bought a Tektronix 200, and I have
grown to like it - a lot. It'll do everything my old '545 will
do, and a lot more as well (even a FFT function that turns it
into a spectrum analyzer). Further, it only weighs 3 pounds, and
makes the road trips much easier.

The limited 'meter' functions (compared with the Fluke) are not
significant. If you don't already have a good digital meter, you
need one anyway, and it might be all you need.

Just my opinion. I still don't like the Fluke much...and the
prices for all of them are not cheap ($2K for mine)