Scopemeters etc

Ron & Cathy Webb cwebb at polarnet.com
Sun Nov 16 00:17:32 GMT 1997

Scott M. wrote

> Which Tektronix 200 scope do you have? Is this a 212? 214?
> 222? 224?

<big snip>It is a Tektronix 220.

The one impression that stood out for me when I was researching
the purchase was that Fluke was "lying" about one of the specs.

They were advertising a 1GS/s sample rate. If you looked close,
that was an "effective" sample rate. Meaning that the real rate
was only something like 60MS/s - but since the sample clock was
not synchronized with the incoming signal, multiple passes, at
differant points on the waveform gave the appearance of a higher
clock for a repetative waveform. I sure hope it was the sales
dept that came up with that one - I'd hate to think an ENGINEER
could be that sneaky..

What I wanted was a single pass data acquisition, followed by an
FFT, to give a display of the spectrum - the application was a
satellite communications transmitter-frequency division
multiplexed - I wanted to verify that my 70MHz IF was at the
correct frequency and the data rate (read bandwidth) before
turning up the RF. This was at remote sites only accessable by
small aircraft, so carrying a 75 pound spectrum analyzer along
was getting old...

. The Fluke would not do that (even though it looked on the
surface like it would), the Tektronix actually pulls it off. Good
job guy!

EFI is a much less demanding application, and the Fluke would no
doubt work fine...