Flow Bench?

steve ravet steve at imes.com
Mon Nov 17 22:48:57 GMT 1997

James Weiler wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, steve ravet wrote:
>
> > Not that this'll do anyone any good, but there was a two part article
> > complete with plans, hardware, etc. in Performance Engineering
> > magazine.  It was published by the former moderator of the hotrod list,
> > but unfortunately folded after 2 issues.  If I had a scanner you'd all
> > have copies of it, but I don't.
> >
> > --steve
>
> Hi Steve.  What is it like to build?  The fuel rail, regulator, pump are
> easy.  The computer to control the injector is not.  (I do have an EEC-IV
> lying around if that helps).  I work in a lab so a receptical to measure
> should be easy.  What do you recomend?  A graduated cylinder?

I didn't actually build it, but the photos showed a bunch of stuff
attached to a board, ie not very complicated.  For measuring, you want a
jar that is skinny and tall so that loss due to evaporation is
minimized.

The computer is nice, but not necessary.  All you really need is a
circuit that you can control the duty cycle of, a 555 timer would do
that easily.  You can tell from scope waveforms when the injector opens
and closes, so that's your open and close times.  If you attach a knock
sensor or other piezo electric thingy to the board, and connect it to
the other scope channel, you can tell exactly when it opens and closes.

Finally, JGD recommended using mineral spirits instead of gas.  Same
density but less flammable.  Remember you need good ventilation when
doing this, and keep the fire extinguisher handy.  I've gotten a couple
offers to scan my articles in, I'll probably take someone up on it and
get them posted to the WWW.  I'll let you know when/where.  Hopefully
JGD won't mind :-)

--steve

--
Steve Ravet