Flow Bench?

Brian Knowles briankk at aimnet.com
Wed Nov 19 10:04:07 GMT 1997

Bob McKnight posted:

>JC whitney has a nice 4 tube setup for balancing Motorcycle carbs.  I
>think they use mercury (included).  Seems it was in the $40 area.  I
>ordered one for a set of Webers which got stolen.  Its still in the
>box in the shop - I hope.

Anybody who buys a set of mercury manometers needs to check the condition
of the mercury BEFORE installing it.  I've seen these things lay around
in the storeso long that the mercury starts to oxidise, forms a dull scum
on the surface of the metal.  If this scum-covered mercury is then
installed, the scum plates out on the guage portion of the manometer,
rendering it useless ('cause you can't read it anymore).  If the mercury
isn't bright and shiney, absolutly mirror-like, insist on a replacement.

Yes, it can be cleaned, but if your buying a new unit, you shouldn't have
to start by fixing it.  Unless its made by GM, in which case that would
be normal ;-)

Brian