Motronic Tuning program, Audi, Porsche 944T

Scott M. scottmo at teleport.com
Fri Nov 21 01:29:50 GMT 1997

Hello list:

My name is Scott Mockry and I am new to the
DIY_FI list. In a previous life I worked as a VW/Nissan
automotive mechanic for ~10 yrs but left this line of work
to get a degree in Electrical Engineering. During the past
few years I worked at Tektronix developing automotive
diagnostic oscilloscopes.

I looked through the DIY archives and read several posts by
Jim Conforti and others regarding modifying the Bosch
Motronic systems.

I'm not sure if my previous message I sent to Jim made it
alive, so I am CC:ing  the DIY list in the hope that Jim
and others who can help will see it.

I have been working with some folks on the Audi Quattro
Internet list for the past couple of years to help
understand the Audi Turbo Quattro ECU code,  (Hitachi
HD6303XP uP) and have modified the EPROM data for running
higher boost levels, changing the timing and modifying the
fuel delivery. (CIS K-Lambda)

I have been working with a programmer who did the
the mods to the original dis-assembler program.
I have been doing some of the on-vehicle testing as I have
a portable 4 gas exhaust analyzer and a portable
oscilloscope, DMM's and have access to the use of a VAG1552
scan tool. I also helped provide some of the Audi and SAE
technical information that describes the operation of the
ECU system to help with the dis-assembly process.

Recently I have been working with a local Audi enthusiast
who is putting together a Porsche 944 Turbo track car and
he is interested in modifying his fuel delivery, ignition
timing and turbo boost levels.

I have the stock DME and KLR unit out of his 944T car (1986
model 944T I think) and would like to begin working on
dis-assembling the code. I realize this is not a trivial
exercise but I am dumb enough to want to continue and try
and do it anyway.

I saw a post Jim Conforti did in March 97 where he
mentioned a program that was offered for BMW CCA members
and Internet people that would allow tuning their own
Motronic equipped vehicles. I assume if this program is
available for the 944T Motronic ECU that it would not be
necessary to dis-assemble the code. (A great relief) Is
this assumption correct and is this program still available
for purchase? If not, can anyone help with identifying the
micro-processor/controller used in this 944T Motronic
application?

The 944T DME unit has the Bosch # 0 261 200 075 and it has
a 1267355235 EPROM. What I assume is the uP is a Siemans
B57306 40Pin DIP. The KLR unit is a Bosch 0 261 201 014
and it uses a 126 7355138 EPROM, the uP looks to be a Intel
B57391 40Pin DIP.

I also have a Motronic ECU out of the 1991 200TQ 20V engine
that I would like to dis-assemble the code on, (in my spare
time)  its specs are as follows:  Motronic ECU # 0 261 200
451, Audi ECU part number 447 907 404AA
EPROM # on main board 1-267-356-260,
another IC I assume is the uP is a Siemans 68 Pin QFP
B57656
EPROM on secondary top board, Bosch # 1-267-356-462,
top board has the following IC's, Siemans 68 pin QFP
B57828, Siemans 40 pin DIP BD266320, Harris 68 PIN QFP
TA13255A, If anyone can help identify these chips it would
be appreciated.

I have a reasonable set of diagnostic equipment if anyone
needs information on using oscilloscopes and may allow list
members to borrow some equipment for development work.

Thanks in advance
Scott M.
Portland, OR