LS1 Specs

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Fri Nov 21 04:02:32 GMT 1997

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Joe Boucher wrote:

> > The article that I read indicated that the LT4 used PM rods.  Can
> > anyone verify this fact?
> >
> Yes, they do.  As a M.E. the powered metal rods fascinated me.  The hole
> for the crank is machined then the cap is broken off, not cut.
>
> How do you precisely break something?  This would also mean that you
> won't have to worry about your rods stretching from an over-rev.

Ford has been using this method since the inception of the 4.6 V8. I have
a nice Ford video showing the cracking procedure...first the scratch the
line on the surface, then they crack off the cap. And, of course Ford is
not the first with either scintered rods or cracked caps. Porsche
(apperantly) used scintered titanium rods in something. Also not the
first...

Jim Davies