IAC modifications

Mark Romans romans at pacbell.net
Sun Nov 30 05:18:28 GMT 1997

Hi Bruce,  I am very intrigued with your explanation of idle instability
etc.  I put the new GM Perf Parts "Hot" LT4 cam in my 87 Vette.  The cam has
218 deg int and 228 deg exh @ .050 thousandths lift, 112 deg lobe centers
and .525 lift with 1.6 rockers and I have had to raise the idle speed to 950
rpm's in an attempt to get the idle to be stable.  It pulls 17" of vacumn at
950 rpm's.  If I touch the clutch or turn the steering wheel or the cooling
fan kicks on it usually dies, even with the idle set at 950 rpm.   The iac
sometimes starts hunting and the idle goes up and down until the iac can't
catch it and it dies.   When I watch the iac counts it is as if the iac
isn't fast enough to catch it and keep it from stalling.  I have the stock
throttle body (TPI) with a Lingenfelter Supperram Intake.  It doesn't seem
to idle that rough, it's just like the iac is too slow.   I have set the
initial spark map up to 25 deg at idle maf range and that helped some too.
But I am kind of at my wits end.  Can you give a better description of what
you did to the iac pintle.  I have heard that there are about 3 different
pintle shapes from GM depending on the application.  I don't know any more
than that.
TIA.    Mark.