Ford crank timing pickup

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 1 21:07:49 GMT 1997

>> I really need to know what the pickup is on my '82 Bronco (351W).
>>

>If this is the crank pickup for a CFI system (like the one used
>for 302 engines), then I have played with this sensor. This
>sensor (at least for my setup) yields a bi-polar symmetric pulse,
>one that I would expect from a VR sensor.
>
>The pickup is about 3 inches long, about 5/8 inches in diameter, and
>has a flat "head". The entire pickup is encased in hard plastic (no
>exposed metal showing, even the pole tip is covered).
>
>- Bruce

Bruce, the system was the first year (I think) that Ford used the
VV carb.  The 302's still used "real" carbs, but the 351W used
the VV and, I guess, an eec-iii ???  I had the pickup in my hand
six months or so ago -- guess I'll have to go look at it again.
Your description seems accurate, though I can't swear to it, nor
do I know about what it's encased in.

The confusing part for me is that the output is unipolar -- clipped
at zero ..... the only load being the 10M scope probe.

I'm unfamiliar with the term "VR sensor"   wazzit ??

thanks,
Tom Cloud

      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids!