Jag V12 ECU Mods

Brian Knowles briankk at aimnet.com
Sat Oct 4 06:19:30 GMT 1997

>Brian
>
>When are those #'s from.  If they are pre-'73 they are gross HP numbers,
>after '72 are net HP #'s...BIG (yellin real loud!!!)...as I was sayin, BIG
>DIFFERENCE.
>10 to 1 that jag motor has more power and freer reving, and in CA you cant
>use the 455 legally anyway

Well, you are stating that a 324" V12 will out pull a 455" V8.  I rather
doubt it.

The 5.3 Jag has, I think, a Heron head design that was finally abandoned
in the 6 litre engine.  The small displacement, lousy breathing and Lucas
FI just flat overcome V12 mistique.  My bucks on the Olds.

Everything is illegal in California, I'm so accoustomed to changing
engines for smog testing that I can easly do it in a weekend.  Though
certianly not a V12 Jag!

At bottom, it's P/W ratio, and there are no readly available engines over
400 lbs that arn't boat anchors, Jags and Olds not withstanding.

 Good P/W engines are the 215 BOP/Rover V8 ~200 hp, 345 lbs, the 231 Ford
V6, ~200 hp, 320 lbs, the EA81 Subaru, 100hp, 200 lbs, the 3 litre
Ferrari ~350 hp, 380 lbs..

When discussing the V12 Jag we are talking about powering a barge-like
sedan, P/W doesn't matter.  Just plug an Olds in your XJS or XJ12 and see
the difference.

Brian
(former and current owner of several Jags and several Olds, speaking from
expierience)