Throttle bodies/parts

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Sun Oct 5 16:59:47 GMT 1997

>Clare-
>
>Good news and bad news...
>
>Good news is that the Mikuni and Bing carbs commonly used in
>snowmobiles, ultralight aircraft, etc (2 stroke) have bores just
>a touch under 1 1/4 inch (25mm actually).
>
>The bad news is they are slide type carbs, so no plate is in'em.
>I have looked at them closely, and converting them to throttle
>bodies does not look hard. The only problem would be the throttle
>position sensor. Some type of linier pot would be needed. Again -
>not hard.
>
>I have some spares. If you want one, I'd ship it in return for a
>promise to see what you come up with...
>
>Clare Snyder wrote:
>
>> Anyone out there know of any carb or EFI system that uses 1
>> 1/4" throttle
>> bores? Looking for something to pirate the throttle plates out
>> of to make my
>> own throttle bodies. Would prefer if it was something
>> relatively common in
>> north america so there is a chance I can obtain them at a very
>> good price,
>> or even free!!

Thanks Ron, but not quite what I'm looking for. I am building the TB from
scratch for a totally mechanical system - all I need is a set of shafts and
plates (2 of each) It is a "2 barrel" system with the two barrels separated
by almost 2 feet - Soob EA81. I sliced off a bit of the original SOOB
manifold and made a plate out of it. I will braze a peice of oval tubing
(high end patio furniture) on for the coolant passage, and a peice of 1 1/4"
Aluminum Ridgid conduit for the throttle body. That's the basics, the
details are even more fun!! I'm told an 86 - 89 Tempo/Topaz uses the right
peices, so I'll be doing some scrounging next week.

Thanks for the offer.