GM speed sensors & ECM suggestions

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Mon Oct 6 12:39:28 GMT 1997

> The 1st things that scares me are the vehicle speed sensor and the engine
>speed sensor & position sensor. I would appreciate any input/insight into
>these obstacles like whether they use a magnetic missing tooth or hall

These devices are nothing more than a disc that "clicks off" magnetic
signals to a hall effect transistor, and should be somewhat easy to adapt.
GM speed sensors give off 8000 pulses per mile I believe... Dakota Digital,
a manufacturer who produces digital dashes for almost any vehicle, might be
a good resource for speed sensors as well as information about the pulses
per mile.  I believe I got the 8000 number from their catalog.  They also
have little boxes that convert the GM signal to slower ECMs, to the tune of
5000, 4000, and 2500 pulses per mile if you need something like that.

Hall effect sensors for crank position as well as speed are good choices
because they are less effected by environment versus mechanical or light
sensors.

Hope I gave you ::some:: info :)

Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive Mailing List
Bridgeport, CT 06606
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/4605/index.html
1989 AG Hummer 4-Door
1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
2000 Mid-Engine Sports Car <smile>

Seeking info on: Audi 5k Locking Diffs, Audi 5k trans bolt pattern, and
17x11" rims.

---