Legal engine swaps?

DOROTHY I. STREICH DStreich at compuserve.com
Wed Oct 8 03:57:35 GMT 1997

:-,>   Does anyone know what the law says (esp in CA) =

:-,>   about swapping a newer engine
:-,>   (post-80) into an older car (pre-70)??
:-,>   Thanks in advance for the help...
:-,>   =

:-,>   Van

In pre-66 cars you can do whatever the hell you want <looking at a 1955
Pontiac Star Chief and 30 years in the old ladys jail> but after that you=

have to use a newer version of the origional engine that came out of a
vehical in the same or lower weight class.  I am unclear as to using an
engine that was a newer car of your bodystyle but wasent offered in your
model year.  It is illeagal to put a super clean(burning) engine in a
vehical that had a dirty engine in it unless you get lotsa pain in the bu=
tt
tests, and they say the legislature is good...Eliminate all
GreenPeopleFreaks!!!  I am for clean air and clean cars, but so few are 2=
5
years and older that the 20 or 25 years and beyond aged cars should be
exemt and any car that had a carbureator should be able to be switched to=

fuel injection and exemted from smog because the over lean and rich engin=
es
that do most poluting are usually carbureated, and fuel injection is much=

more reliable in that department,...

                                        Karl Streich
                                        My $0.02 worth

                                        plus $10.00 worth :>