idea..

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Wed Oct 8 03:12:15 GMT 1997

>This mechanical engineer had an idea related to this thread and I
>haven't a clue a clue how to implement it.  Would it be easy to use one
>or more of the standard IC's to make a visual instantaneous fuel usage
>meter?  If the fuel pressure to the injectors is constant, then the
>variable of fuel delivery is injector pulse.  If you knew what the
>longest potential injector pulse length is, then could you make a
>display of ten LED's and have the LED's light up as the pulse length
>goes up?  I realize the pulse length is rather small in relation to the
>respomse of the LED's and your eyeball, but it seems like a resonable
>project.  I'm more interested in if it could be done easily rather than
>begging someone to do it.

Yes, it can be done. The pulse width (duty cycle) needs to be changed to a
voltage, which can read out on a meter, bar-graph, or digital readout. It
will not be MPG, but instantaneous fuel flow. By keeping it as low as
possible, you get your best mileage. A vacuum guage does the same thing at
less cost and with less complexity.