Anyone know anything about "OBD II"?

Ray Massenberg RMassenberg at prodigy.net
Fri Oct 10 00:52:39 GMT 1997

At 09:12 10/10/97 EST, you wrote:
>     I know a few things about OBD II, but am after more information. I
>     know that it is an attempt to standardise diagnostic equipment for
>     ECUs. I think that the method of doing this is to have a standard
>     communications protocol that can be used to communicate with any OBD
>     II compliant ECU. If anyone can point me in the direction of where I
>     can find information about OBD II it would be appreciated. I am
>     particularly after the communications protocol, as I would like to
>     write some software that allows me to read parameters from the ECU
>     like sensor values and I would also like to be able to read the
>     standard ECU maps.
>
>     Any information would be appreciated, especially WWW sites that have
>     information.
>
>     Thanks in advance,
>
>     Adrian Vos
>     avos at cochlear.com.au

Try the SAE home page.  They have a very good manual on OBDII .
Search for Automotive Diagnostics Standards.  The book was just
updated and they cover communications protocols very well.  After all
they approved the standard.

--

Ray Massenberg
Service Engineer

The opinions expressed here are solely mine and not those of my
employer.