420 SBC project..was Re: selection of TBI components for 383 Chevy

sfg sfgent at ac.net
Mon Oct 13 13:25:25 GMT 1997

Curtis L. Martin wrote:

> > Curt, I'm interested in your 420 project and in particular what you
> > plan for the fuel injection system (and the engine internals).
> > Please email me directly if your comments are not related to
> > this forum. I am still seeking this groups input to help me select
> > appropriate TBI components for a high torque 383 truck engine.
> > Thanks for your input.  Steve
>
> Sure,
>
> The block is a 2-bolt 400 ('78 Blazer) bored 0.030" over and fitted with
> Mildon splayed 4-bolt caps on the center three webs.
>
> The rotating assembly was purchased as a kit from Larry's Performance Shop,
> in California.  It consists of a 3.875" stroke, forged crankshaft, 327 5.7"
> connecting rods, and custom JE reverse dome forged pistons.  It took a
> while for the kit to get here, but so far it looks like it was worth the
> wait.
>
> Camshaft is a Crane 113801 camshaft (flat tapped hydraulic, 222 in 234 ex
> @0.050 lift, 114 lobe separation, .467 in lift, .494 ex lift)
>
> Cylinder heads are GM 10088113 Aluminum Center-bolts and are more or less
> stock (valve diameters)  I just added Crane valvesprings, studs, and
> guideplates.
>
> I'm shooting for a finished CR in the 9.8 range.  The block is being honed
> (in fact it should be done by now) so I'm waiting to see what the final
> deck height is and compute the actual CR.  If it's over 10:1, then I'll
> have to re-think a bit, take material out of the head chambers and use
> thicker head gaskets to lower the CR.
>
> Rocker arms are also Crane 1.6 roller. (These are left-over, narrow body,
> non-self aligning rockers from my previous 2.8L, hence the guide plates.
> It was cheaper to buy 4 more rockers and add the guideplates, vs. a new set
> of 16 self-aligning rockers.)
>
> Timing chain is a toss up.  I have this Erson Gear Drive, but I'm debating
> installing it.. might just go with a good old Cloyes double-roller chain.
> The good point about the Erson is that the cam cover is removable..
> allowing a cam swap without disturbing the bottom of the motor.  I think I
> will install it and at least try it out.. but at the first sign of trouble,
> it'll get chucked in favor of a more traditional chain drive.
>
> Induction is still an open issue...  The plenum/runner config I would like
> is the TPIS Mini-ram.  The motor should have excellent low rpm torque
> without relying on a long runner intake to enhance it.  I would rather use
> the LT1 style short runner manifold and try to increase the top end of the
> power band.
>
> At one point I considered using a Holley 900 CFM Projection 4di on top of a
> Weiand 142cid supercharger.  Holley's tech support killed that idea in that
> they will not support or recommend blower apps for the 4di.  They would not
> elaborate as to the reason why.  Based on displacement and a rpm limit of
> 5500 (self imposed..I'm not going to spin this motor to 7000rpm), 900 CFM
> [...]

Curt, There is much to discuss here. We are for the most part building
the same engine. The one point I will comment on for now
is the ECU selection. (more later)
I agree with you strongly on the use of the GM ECU for reasons of
reliability, availability and cost. I took apart a dead Holley
Projection ECU in 1993 and was amazed to see the types of components
used for an automotive-temperature-range device. No wonder it was
dead. I'll stick to a GM ECU.
Steve