2.8 -> 4.3

steve ravet steve at imes.com
Mon Oct 13 15:59:57 GMT 1997

> > Hi,
> >
> > I converting my 1988 S10 4X4 from a 2.8L TBI to a 4.3L TBI
> > and was wondering if there is a need to change anything relating to
> > the ECM.
> >
> > Someone told me that all the TBI injectors are the same is this
> > true?
> >
> > I noticed on the wiring diagrams there are a few differences like
> > the 4.3L uses a heated O2 sensor, is that important?
> >
> > Does someone have experience with this?
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated.

 Your best bet is to get the whole motor, including the ECM, all the
 emissions stuff, and all the accessories, wiring harness, etc.  Call
 around some junkyards and get prices.  They'll usually watch for
 something like that at the auctions, and yank the whole shebang for
 you for one price.

 That way, you don't have to search for connectors, rig up brackets for
 mounting accessories, etc.  It's more expensive, but well worth it in
 the long run.

 That said, did you know the 4.3L is essentially a 5.7L (smallblock
 350) with the front two cylinders cut off?  The reason I mention it is
 because you will have to replace your transmission for this swap with
 one from a 90 degree block (4.3 V6 or smallblock V8).  You'll also
 have to make some engine compartment mods to fit it in side to side.
 And, the exhaust will have to be redone.  All these changes are
 exactly what's required to fit a V8 in.  So....   might as well do it
 that way.  I've been thru this on my S-10, ('86 Blazer 4x4 w/350 TBI)
 so ask away if you have more questions.

 Check out www.jagsthatrun.com for the S-10 V8 conversion manual.  It
 costs about $30.  It's such a good read that it's a deal even if you
 don't plan on swapping the engine.  They also have parts you'll need,
 like motor mounts etc.

 --steve