Radiator Cap

Michael Skolones michaels at telerobot.com
Mon Oct 13 23:55:58 GMT 1997

--IMA.Boundary.208687678

     Newton tells us that the rate of heat flow from one region into
     another is proportional to the difference in temperature between the
     two regions (in this case, the block and the water).  Therefore, given
     an engine block of a certain temperature, cooler water will remove
     more thermal energy per unit time than warmer water.  A
     lower-temperature thermostat will ensure a cooler supply of water to
     remove the thermal energy from the block, and so cooler water is in
     this sense more efficient.

     Each volume-unit of water is in contact with the block for less time
     if the water is flowing quickly, as compared to water that is flowing
     slowly.  Therefore each volume-unit of water carries away less thermal
     energy if the water is moving quickly.  But in a quickly-flowing
     cooling system, more volume-units of water are flowing through the
     cooling passages per unit time, so the amount of thermal energy
     carried away per unit time will be the approximately the same
     regardless of flow rate, the only difference being the change in the
     rate of thermal exchange with temperature difference as described
     above.

     On the other hand, the question is somewhat irrelevant to automotive
     cooling systems.  To my knowledge a higher-temp thermostat flows at
     least as much as a lower-temp thermostat for a given engine, once both
     have reached the fully-open position.  The only difference is the
     temperature at which the valve fully opens, not in how much it opens.

     mike skolones