selection of TBI components for 383 Chevy

sfg sfgent at ac.net
Tue Oct 14 00:00:45 GMT 1997

Kevin Vannorsdel wrote:

> I would be interested in hearing from anybody, anywhere, who has ever gotten
> decent performance (better than stock) using a GM TBI system.  I too have a
> blazer with a built 350 sitting under the stock TBI.  So far- performance has
> been a bit dissapointing.
>
> Any thoughts?  Thanks :)

>   Kevin Vannorsdel     IBM Arm Electronics Development
>     408-256-6492                Tie 276-6492     kv at us.ibm.com
>
> owner-diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu on 10/10/97 05:36:47 PM
> Please respond to diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu @ internet
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu @ internet
> cc:
> Subject: Re: selection  of TBI components for 383 Chevy
>
> > I'm building a mild-mannered 383 SBC for torque to repower my '87
> > Blazer.  Would like the groups suggestions on TBI components. I'll reuse
> > GM ECU. I'm devoted DIYer and the Howell prices put me in sticker shock.
> > 1. reprogrammed chip set....DIY or off the shelf?  is it really needed?
> >    (what happened to recent thread on hacking GM ECU codes?)
> > 2. Throttle Body.... 2bbl or 4bbl? Holley? BG? OEM? is 4bbl overkill?
> > 3. inlet manifold.... Holley, Edelbrock, OEM, other?
> > Thanks, Steve
>
> Well, if ya want to go OEM GM, I've got a stock TBI manifold and Rochester
> Throttle body I'd love to be rid of.. ('88 VIN "K" 350 from a 1500 pickup
> truck)
>
> Curt Martin (cmartin at america.com)
> Ormond Beach, FL
> http://www.america.com/~cmartin

Has anyone used the Barry Grant (BGFuel) throttle body that looks
like a Holley carb? Their sales pitch is: "annular boosters" improve
atomization. The only other aftermarket TB unit I know of is Holley,
and I see that Howell sells a GM ECU, and harness, to run it.
Any Howell, Holley, or BG first-hand experience out there?  Steve