GM 2.8L V-6 No-Start

Steve Ochs Steve_Ochs at compuserve.com
Tue Oct 14 12:38:23 GMT 1997

A very common problem on the GM 2.8l/3.1l Chevy V-6 is for an injector or=

injectors to develop a short and pull too much current.  This engine uses=

Multec injectors which don't clog like the older ones, but the windings a=
re
very susceptible to solvents and the insulation on the windings breaks
down.  GM issued a service bulletin on not using injector cleaners with
these injectors.

Anyways, back to the problem.  I have seen this happen on this engine mor=
times than I can remember. Sometimes one injector gets replaced and two
months later another one fails.  Most prevalent on pre-1992 vehicles.  =

Many times the engine will run fine and then after it is shut off, won't
restart any more.  The test in the service manual is to check the current=

draw on each injector.  Since this is MPFI, I believe that 3 injectors fe=
ed
off of a common 12v line (don't have a service manual handy right now).

Steve Ochs aka N8TYS- Mfg. Engineer - GM Powertrain - Parma Plant
Transmission Division (4T60/65-E) - Steve_Ochs at compuserve.com
The statements and opinions expressed here are NOT an official
statement of General Motors or the GM Powertrain Division

'97 Chevy Blazer LT 4x4 4.3L V6    '96 DCM Impala SS 5.7L V8 =

'87 Olds Cutlass 442 307 V8        '61 GMC 1500 Fleetside 305 V6  =

  =