420 SBC project..was Re: selection of TBI components for 383 Chevy

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Wed Oct 15 02:14:48 GMT 1997

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Paul Tholey wrote:

> >With one eye on the title of this list...the 44 has been around for over
> >44 years, and there are many variations...
> >
> >Jim Davies
>
> I believe that it would no longer be a Dana 44 if the design of the carrier
> changed.  Although there are different housings, independent and strait
> axle, the rear is still designated by the carrier.

Any idea of just how many variations there are of the 44?

  The pinion twisting off,
> and the spider gears ruined is all due to a weaker carrier.

subjective

  The only rear I
> am aware of that has multiple pinions, is the 8 3/4 Chrysler.  The smaller
> pinion has a limited slip carrier, and the large pinion has a true posi.

The 8 3/4 mopar had 3 pinion sizes: large, small and tapered but all may
use the same carrier with the correct carrier bearings. What do you mean
by "limited slip" vs "true posi"?

Jim Davies