420 SBC project..was Re: selection of TBI components for

Paul Tholey pft101 at psu.edu
Wed Oct 15 01:54:01 GMT 1997

>With one eye on the title of this list...the 44 has been around for over
>44 years, and there are many variations...
>
>Jim Davies

I believe that it would no longer be a Dana 44 if the design of the carrier
changed.  Although there are different housings, independent and strait
axle, the rear is still designated by the carrier.  The pinion twisting off,
and the spider gears ruined is all due to a weaker carrier.  The only rear I
am aware of that has multiple pinions, is the 8 3/4 Chrysler.  The smaller
pinion has a limited slip carrier, and the large pinion has a true posi.

I agree, the 9" is a stronger rear.

Paul