1995 BMW DME

shooter r_tech at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 17 05:29:51 GMT 1997

I have a couple of questions. I am new on the list and to the whole
subject of  DIY EFI. I have had a little experience with early
mechanical FI in volkswagens.

First, what is a scan tool? I have seen this mentioned here several
times and on other web sites.

Second, does the binary image for this ECU need to be "unfolded" as in
the discussion of the motronic 1.1 in the archive? I would guess that
this is so that the code can be DA at address 8000h and therefore
generate proper labeling and other addressing. In addition is the number
of bytes to unfold still 2k or is it greater?

Third, I just thought of this while typing the above, what is the
motronic version in the 1995 318i?

Bear with me since I have only been at this for a couple of weeks. I
have read in the eprom and disassembled it as an 8051 source, assuming
that is what its base is. Currently I am trying to fine tune the
disassembly so that the bytes for the tables will be listed as a "define
byte"(At least I think these are the LUTs) and the blank areas are
ignored. . Does anyone know if the code in the mcu itself is from a
mask?  I have noticed alot of "blank" areas in the memory space of the
binary. Is this significant or is it just an artifact from placing stuff
like interupt service routines in larger memory space. I have not
studied the code very closely yet as I have not had a whole lot of time
to devote lately. Additionally, unless I know the exact mcu the ports
and config registers will be meaningless. Hopefully this weekend I will
have time to pick through it with a scope and dvm to get a better idea.
I have the data sheets from what i believe the possible processors are.

The whole reason for even taking on this project is to be able to fine
tune the fuel and timing when I put forced induction on. Yes I do have
some formulas for computing the correct fuel ratios for given
efficiencies and displacements and a a/f meter is readily available.