Analog Meter capability

Joe Boucher
Fri Oct 17 18:09:52 GMT 1997

Frederic Breitwieser wrote:

> >Would an analog meter with 10k internal resistance require more power
> >than the sensor would put out?  I have a small 10 meg internal
> >resistance voltmeter, but I don't think this would work well. The
> >digital meter display wouldn't settle down enough to take readings.  The
> >analog would tend to dampen out some fluctuations.
>
> Go for it.  I believe the impedance will be off... I thought the GM MAP was
> in the 1meg range... but worse that happens is the needle doesn't move.
>
> But, there is a solution... if you don't mind soldering together a simple
> op-amp circuit to increase the gain :)
>
> >Joe (Oscilliscope challenged) Boucher
>
> Got mine at a garage sale for under $10. Needed a power supply capacitor
> (and got it in Radio Shack no less LOL)
>
> Frederic Breitwieser
> Homebrew Automotive Mailing List
> Bridgeport, CT 06606
> http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/4605/index.html
> 1989 AG Hummer 4-Door
> 1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
> 2000 Mid-Engine Sports Car <smile>
>
> Seeking info on: Audi 5k Locking Diffs, Audi 5k trans bolt pattern, and
> 17x11" rims.
>
> ---

That's the plan Stan, er, Fredrick.  I want to setup a MAP sensor on the
Camaro, take some data points, then take some data points at the same
rpm or throttle position on something else, such as my Suburban.  Then
I'll be able to find out if I just need a simple multiplier gain, one op
amp, circuit or something more complex.  My common sense is thinking
simple.