rad and coolant

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Tue Oct 21 12:27:33 GMT 1997

Robert McGhie wrote:
>=20
> At 04:54 PM 10/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >bobthecomputerguy said:
> >> get better economy.  A note about oil.  Seems to lubricate best at a=
bout
> >180 f
> >>  average and somewhere it MUST exceed the boiling point of water on =
an
> >open
> >> surface in order to drive the water out.  If you don't, all the wate=
> >makes
> >> sulfuric and nitric acid in your oil and all the wonnerfull things t=
hat
> >follow.
> >
> >> Robert Harris <bob at bobthecomputerguy.com>
> >
> >Bob,
> >I am curious about where you heard 180=B0F on oil temps.  Most of the =
guys I
> >have
> >talked to in the racing circles run around 240=B0F+.
> >
> >Jim Boughton
> >
>=20
> Oil temp should be above 212=B0F to boil off water and fuel dilution fr=
om cold
> starting.
>=20
> Robert
As previously stated, the oil should reach 212F in an open surface area
to boil off the moisture, but the most efficient operating point as far
as lubrication does appear to be 180F. I guess a good dry sump is the
answer - run oil to the bearings at 180F, it absorbs heat from the
bearings, raising temp to 212+F, an is then cooled and returned to the
sump, ready to hit the bearings again at 180 +/-.
--=20
                             _/\_
                       S    0/  \0    B

Remove the R from E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of=20
Turkeys