rad and coolant

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Tue Oct 21 12:36:46 GMT 1997

Wouter de Waal wrote:

> >>The thermostat is essential, even if you rip out the
> >>guts to make it into a '190 degree' or whatever equivalent.
>
> Whoops, I think I lied here, if your rip the guts it'll probably be a 100
> degree equivalent (dunno, I work in degrees C)
>
> Mario sez:
> >
> >I like that design of the thermostat blocking one port (to the bypass)
> >and opening another (to the rad) at the set temp.
>
> I assumed that most cars work like this. Not?
>
> >ps what is your air cooled?
>
> VW Variant 1700 FI.

Only some of the later model engines use dual-acting or bypass
thermostats. Toyota used them in the early Tercels, and Renault used
them back in the little R12 - how much farther back I cannot say, but
American engines up until very recently used standard, single acting
stats, depending on pump pressure differences to make the water ignore
the bypass hose when the stat opened.
--
                             _/\_

Remove the R from E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys