rad and coolant, TPEFI related

John Carroll jac at wavecom.net
Thu Oct 23 23:56:42 GMT 1997

I bought a drum of propylene glycol a year ago for a heat exchanger.
The Purchaing agent thought we paid about $6.00 per gallon.  It was
not as dry as is needed for this application bu twhat the heck
figure out a way to boil it out.

Industrial chemical houses sell it.  We get it from Dyce Chemical in
Billings, Montana.  If is is available here at the edge of the world,
it must be everywhere.    There is a lot of it around.  Every
big airport has a recycler that sucks it up off the deiceing area and
reconstitutes it.  A few years ago it was unlawful to rinse airplanes
with used glycol (gasp), so they cleaned it up, took it to Canada
and they deiced their airplanes for less money.

John Carroll

> Date:          Thu, 23 Oct 1997 11:59:14 -0500
> From:          "Boucher, Joe C" <joe.c.boucher at lmco.com>
> Subject:       Re: rad and coolant, TPEFI related
> To:            "'diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu'" <diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu>

> >I tried digging out my old glycol tables so I could be exact, but
> >it is necessay  to dry the glycol completely.  You do not want to
> >deal with the vapor pressure of a mixture containing water, only the
> >glycol.  There will be violent boiling of a mixture at 250 F and
> >cooling system pressures.
> >John Carroll
> >jac at wavecom.net
>
> ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
>
> There is a company called Mecca Cooling Company.  They sell a propylene
> glycol based cooling system with 0 pound pressure caps.  The propylene
> glycol boils at 300 degrees f.  If I remember right the specific heat
> of  the propylene is lower than water but the delta t makes up for it.
> Claims are no hot spots in the combustion chamber so compression of up
> to 12.5 to 1 is possible on pump gas.  Any water, one tablespoon of
> superheated water fills a lot of space, is bad, so the overflow line has
> a desiccant in it.  You have to purge all water from the system.  MECCA
> claims you can't use Sierra from Pep boys because the additives can't
> handle 300 degrees, so you have to buy his for $25 a gallon.
>
> I only know of one person who used the system (rich guy with too much
> time and money) in a big block '65 Vette drag only car.  Said the
> temperature
> stopped spiking after a run on the return drive to the pits.
>
> If the cooling qualities were true, think of the efficiencies you could
> get out of a feed back EFI system on a motor running 12 to 1
> compression.  Yee Haw.
>
> Joe (I believe in perpetual motion) Boucher

John Carroll
jac at wavecom.net