ALDL to PC interface

Craven, Darren [IBM GSA] DCraven at vitgbsd3.telstra.com.au
Mon Oct 27 23:21:38 GMT 1997

Hi All

The interface circuit that I used is the one that was posted to
the list by Peter Paul Fenske around May or June this year.
This was posted as DB9.S01 then later revised and posted
as ECMCOM.S01.  This is a Tango Schematics file format.

In a day or two I will post the circuit as a pkzipped .bmp file.
It's not very big!

Any comms package that can talk at approx 8228 baud will
(I believe) work with this.  8228 baud is only 0.5% out from the
8192 baud that my ecm uses.

At the moment I have only hooked up to the ecm and read the
data stream sent by it when the 10K resistor is used.  I have not
tried sending data to the ecm.

Peter Paul Fenske also posted a copy of a simple comms
program written in C that he wrote.  Once again I think from
memory this was around May or June this year.  Do a search
in the archives for the files gcar1.c, alt_key.h, ascii.h and
comdefs.h.  There is also a compiled version gcar2.exe

I am using this on a 90 Commodore(in OZ) V8 man.  Standard
apart from a larger exhaust.  It has a Delco P4, 808.

I need info on what command codes to send the ecm to get
data out of it.  I am currently working on this but if anyone on
the list has any info or ideas, then it would be appreciated.

I have not read the EPROM yet but will do so soon.  I don't
have access to a prom burner  :-(

Hope this helps.  I will post any info I find.

Regards
Darren Craven