In car power supply

David Doddek pantera at pobox.com
Wed Oct 29 04:18:06 GMT 1997

Michel wrote:
>Hi everyone. This is my first post to this list. I'm building a
>dynamometer and performance analyser for my car, using a Atmel 8952.
>I'm now in the power supply section and faced to the heat dissipation
>problem. I'm not using a DC-DC converter because of the price.
>I tried to use a 7809 and 7805 together and also a 7805 with a bypass
>transistor but both setups generate a lot of heat. (7 to 8 watts).
>My circuit draws about 800ma including LCD and backlight.
>
>I was curious to know what do you use to power your EFI management
>systems or how you handle heat.
>
>thanks.
>Michel Drainville
>drainville at paprican.ca
>
>PS: please answer privately because I'm not a member of the list.
>    (my project is not related to EFI)

I just use the 7805, but then my current drain is so low the regulator does
not hardly dissipate any heat.  I draw sometning like 30 milliamps from the
processor.

David Doddek     pantera at pobox.com    www.pobox.com/~pantera    217-422-3722
69 EFI Fairlane, 89 T-bird SC, 74 Twin turbo NOS EFI Pantera #6825
If you are going to go fast, go real fast.